Leaf and Letters
- 5 days
Realism and abstraction is a dynamic combination. One way to showcase this is with botanical illustration and lettering, the original abstraction.
In this five-day workshop participants will learn some basic illustration techniques by drawing and painting a simple leaf. A thoughtfully chosen quote relating to the illustration will be added using the compressed italic script.
- Mitchell nibs size 2, 3 and 4 or equivalent
- Nib holders
- Kneadable eraser
- Mars Staedtler eraser
- Tombo eraser (optional)
- HB mechanical pencil
- Metal ruler
- Small Strathmore cold press watercolour pad (6” high by 12” wide) not the expensive watercolour blocks (this is only for practice)
- Practice paper at least 8.5” x 11”
- Ceramic mixing palette with at least 6 wells
- Folding plastic palette with 12 wells (8” x 8” when open)
- A roll of paper towels
- 2 water containers
- Size 2 and 4 sable watercolour brushes that come to a fine point when wet
- A small acrylic brush that comes to a fine chisel, 4 millimeters wide or about 1/8"
- Mixing brush(es) inexpensive ones
- A tool for rubbing, like a burnisher, that will not mark the paper (optional)
- 2 pieces of white inexpensive card, each 8.5” x 11”
- Green painter’s tape
- 2 – 8.5” x 11” heavy (so it does not have to be stretched) hot press watercolour paper (1 is a spare)
- A small lamp (the reading lights that are suggested to bring to conferences would be perfect)
- Extension cord
Materials supplied by instructor:
The instructor will charge a material fee of CA$20.00 per student. Please note: if you have your own supply of watercolours and gouache and do not wish to pay the material fee then that is totally fine. Please make sure you have the following colours in your both your watercolour and gouache palettes: a cool yellow and a warm yellow, Prussian blue, French ultramarine, alizarin crimson. An ochre or raw umber would also be helpful.