Vitalize Your Hands
- 5 days
We will look at italic, foundational/carolingian minuscules and italic hands to explore how we can vitalize them using advanced techniques like pen angle manipulation, pressure variation and retouching/building up of the strokes. By making the strokes themselves more dynamic and varied, we can ultimately apply this technique to any writing style.
We will also look at so-called script typefaces (typefaces based on calligraphy) to see whether they may teach us to write differently and more intentionally. (From pen to print to pen again).
Christopher will lecture and demonstrate, as well as following up each student individually.
It is expected that the students attending already have a grasp of basic hands such as capitals, foundational and italic.
Some or all of the following choice of papers:
- Arches Text Wove, Zerkall (comes in 2 surfaces)
- Rives BFK
- Khadi Indian Handmade papers come in several different textures (PS103 from John Neal is good)
- Daler layout pads in A3 size are good for practicing.
- All sizes of Brause nibs are recommended (Mitchell nibs not suitable)
- Pencil (2H)
- Pointed brush, for loading nib with ink
- Coloured pencils
- Chinese Stick Ink (IS29 from John Neal is good)
- Ink Stone
- Higgins Eternal is a cheaper substitute, but the chinese stick ink is highly recommended
- Colours are optional, but please use Winsor and Newton gouache
- T Square
- Scalpel blade (# 21 for scraping)
- Adjustable drawing board
- Sandarac powder
- Old cloth
- Water jar
- Guard sheet or cotton glove (as you prefer)