Vitalize Your Hands
- 5 days
We will look at italic, foundational/carolingian minuscules and italic hands to explore how we can vitalize them using advanced techniques like pen angle manipulation, pressure variation and retouching/building up of the strokes. By making the strokes themselves more dynamic and varied, we can ultimately apply this technique to any writing style.
We will also look at so-called script typefaces (typefaces based on calligraphy) to see whether they may teach us to write differently and more intentionally. (From pen to print to pen again).
Christopher will lecture and demonstrate, as well as following up each student individually.
It is expected that the students attending already have a grasp of basic hands such as capitals, foundational and italic.
- Bring your usual calligraphy equipment
- Brause & Speedball nibs
- Automatic pens
- Light-proof and water soluble ink (Chinese stick ink for example)
- A choice of papers, like Arches text wove, Zerkall comes in two surfaces], Rives BFK , Khadi indian handmade papers in several different textures). Daler layout pads in A3-size are good for practicing sometimes, but are not suitable for these techniques
- Pencil (2H)
- Colours are optional, but please use Winsor and Newton gouache
- Pointed brush for feeding the nib
- Broad-edged brush optional
- Rounded scalpel blade for scraping
- Adjustable drawing boards are recommended