Power Pages – Layout & Design Techniques
- 5 days
Our imagination can take us to new heights if we allow it to do so. This is a layout and design technique course that presents gentle ways to use those wonderful lettering skills and create page designs without fear, using artful compositions. Barbara will show techniques in designing page layouts without intimidation. We'll have some free play experiences and try some unusual tools to enhance our POWER PAGES along with diverse styles of calligraphic lettering.
It's a fun and exciting approach to "filling the page" without having merely a page full of practice alphabets, but by using the white space as an important element. We'll work from small to medium and then on to large scale projects. Confidence will build as created pages are made. If you've come to a point with your lettering and want something more – this is the class for you. Remember, there are no mistakes, only new adventures to explore.
We are going to be experimenting and working with a lot of different sizes – so that means that we’ve got to have a lot of “stuff” at our fingertips. Bring your favourite tools to write with. These are your pages, so bring what you have of these:
- Practice paper: Canson Layout Pro Marker 9” x 12” or 11” x 14”
- 1 sheet of Arches Text Wove and 1 sheet of Arches 140 lbs OR Stonehenge} cut/tear for travel sizes in quarters (we’ll work small, medium and large…so don’t make them too small)
- Ruler/ Pencil/ Eraser/Bone Folder
- Calligraphy pen nibs and holders – various sizes from 3mm Brauses to #6 Mitchells
- Automatic pens and/or Parallel Pens
- Pointed pen nibs and holders
- Pigma Micron (your choice of size) and Gel Pen: suggest Sakura Stardust Clear
- Brushes (both round and flat – 2 large and 2 small and mixing brushes)
- Watercolour Paints: tubes or pan sets and water container.
- Sponge (cut up kitchen sponge)
- Gold powder
- Glue Stick
- Paper towels
- Embossing stylus
- X-Acto knife and small cutting mat
- Blue Painters Tape
- A variety of quotes, poems, songs that you like and have been waiting to calligraph
- Bring samples of work you admire and that inspires you – can be colour or b/w copies (This is very important!)
I’ll bring handouts, gesso, acrylics, brayer, gelli-plate(s), texture tools/sheets, stimudents, balsa wood pieces, dowels for stamping, sand papers, stumps (tortillions), Sumi ink, tracing paper.